Monday, 12 October 2015

Episode 5: What a panic/anxiety attack is like? Can and should you help?

Most of the time, if you have any types of mental illness the person you can rely on is yourself and your psychiatrist. Trust me, only PSYCHIATRISTS or PSYCHOTHERAPIST. Not many General Practitioner (GP) doctors can help because almost none of them were exposed and trained. I've seen many GPs in the past. They are either 1) don't believe you. 2) If Muslim, ask you to turn to God. or 3) prescribed you XANAX or valium, etc. which is fine but short term solution. 

Seeing a psychiatrist could be NOT AN OPTION for most people. I respect that and I agree to disagree. 

Another option is to learn Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). CBT is not easy and I personally hated it. Drug is much easier. (hahahaha!). I don't feel CBT is useful during or to prevent panic attacks. I am worrying that I cannot breathe and my chest and inside is exploding and you expect me to THINK? I CANNOT THINK, YOU CRAZY TEEEETTT. It is like the most useless thing to do for me. BUT!! There is a but. CBT is useful if someone can help think for me. 

Here is an example of a panic attacked triggered by work:

1) A client is scolding you for some kind of misunderstanding. It is Saturday. You don't expect to get yelled about work on a Saturday. Then you started to have some heavy breathing and chest or stomach pain. Then your boss called you to get your explanation on whats happening. He/she asked questions, so many questions. When is the order? How come is this that? Why don't you do this and that? 

DANG! You get panic attack. 

Panic attack is scary but it is short. It should not be more than 20 minutes. During that 20 minutes time, isolate yourself. Don't look or read text messages. Don't answer calls. Turned off the phone. 

1. What happens in the head when panic attack happens: Here are some example thoughts. 

I WILL GET FIRED BECAUSE OF THIS, HOW TO PAY BILLS? MY BOSS IS GOING TO THINK IM USELESS. 
THAT CLIENT IS SO RUDE, I WILL NEVER EVER TALK TO HIM/HER AGAIN
IM AN IDIOT
IM SO USELESS I CANT EVEN DO MY JOB

The train of thoughts will be emphasised and become more and more illogical to the point of you scared of Monday coming. The best thing to do is NOT THINK, distract yourself. 

2. After 20 minutes or once the panic attack ends. Do CBT. Most of the time, I cannot do this alone. But if someone can help, it will be much easier. 

The thoughts that lead to an attack usually were emphasised in my head. Categorised those thoughts into these category. 

1) Nothing at all
2) Generalisation
3) The filter
4) Conclusion jumping
5) Labels

By doing the categorisation, I will be able to shrink back the problem into its actual size. When it shrunk, the anxiety become normal people anxiety. Thats the goal of any panic or anxiety attack. Help yourself or someone you are trying to help shrink their emphasised train of thoughts into what normal people would think and react. 

This could be too much to ask. If you think, this is too much for you to handle its ok. Not everyone is able to handle GAD sufferers. Any GAD sufferers should be able to do CBT by themselves. If CBT is too technical for you, these are the next best thing you can do to help:

1- NEVER ASSUME. ASK THEM WHAT THEY FEEL AND WHAT THEY WANT.
2- LET THE PERSON RECOVER. GIVE THEM TIME AND SPACE but it is important to tell them you are here for them. 
3- HELP THEM FIND SOMETHING POSITIVE WITH THEIR ATTEMPT. EMPHASISE THE POSITIVE AND OPTIMISM
4- NEVER RIDICULE OR TELL THEM THEY ARE DRAMA AND FAKING IT. (If this is you, FUCK YOU!!)
5- IF THEY ARE NOT SEEING Specialists of Therapist, encourage them to do so. It is very important to be able to talk to someone about this. 

I am lucky to have a family and few close friends that do this for me. If you are suffering this alone, i have my deepest sympathy for you. Please don't do that to yourself. Get help. Or talk to someone. Or, talk to me :) 


References:
1. Read more on CBT 

No comments:

Post a Comment